Friday, November 12, 2021

Legend Of Burundi

In 1996, at the age of six, Parfait took a bullet to the arm
 which crippled it. He lost his mother on same day. When he
 fled to Rwanda he nurtured his passion for taekwondo and
 made history after he was named a member of the
Refugee Paralympic Team.
Photo Courtesy: UNHCR

You have no idea

Who I am

You ain't half

The man I am

Can you take a bullet

To the shoulder

And then earn your skillet

As a trained fighter?

I am the Legend of Burundi

The fight in every refugee

I am the starving Yemeni

The dying breath of that baby

I rep every lost voice

Crying for help that never came

Behind every dry brush

I am the victim of rape

Churning from despair

A stalwart hope

I dare to dare

And step out on a tightrope

You don't know my name

You can't knock my game

I'm that speck in your eye

That war ravaged child

I'm that girl on hijab

That the system stabbed

In the back

But I won't crack

Just got my stack

Of books in my backpack

Nobody's gon' hijack

My education

I survive by a kick

And thrive by chops

I'm breakwater thick

I've been toughened by war

This stint saved me

Sports lifted my spirits

And got me lifting trophies

Like I was born to do it

I erased weak from lame

And I was born to reign.


Akpan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!