Saturday, November 20, 2021

Aftershock

'Life has been very, very hard. Because my sister died.' Those
 are the words of Cynthia, sister to the girl depicted in this
photo, Celine. Cynthia and her sister were trying to make a
run for it when the Haiti earthquake started and a piece of
wall in their mother's bedroom came down on them. Celine,
 just 11 months old, died under the rubble, and Cynthia ended
 up crippled. She needs help to keep believing in life.
Please Help:
https://uni.cf/3k8QyKF 
Photo Courtesy: help.unicef.org 

Because my sister died

Lying by my side

These tears sting my eye

Me and her were trapped

Under a concrete slab

She was eleven months

Old and hadn't started to crawl

She was an active volcano

All she is now's a bag of bones

For me, it's been a hard life

Because my sister died

And it ain't that simple

Cause I'm  all crippled

And stuck in bed

Watching replays of this nightmare

In my battered head

My own emotional earthquake

It ain't ever gon' be the same

Not ever again

Because my sister died

Mama cried so at the sight

Tried to blame it on her oversight

Because my sister died

But ain't nothing she could've done

The climate sent no memo

She done went to work

Nobody coulda known

That my sister was gonna die

It wasn't her fault

Because my sister died

A part of me died

A part of me the wall

That gave out on us

Could never touch

No matter how it tried

I gotta make something of my life

Because my sister died

I owe her this sacrifice

This chubby girl child

That all too soon touched the sky

Yeah, I'll pay that price

Somewhere down the line

And bring my sister back to life.


Akpan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!