Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Intense Conflict


Adham, 6, from Aden in Yemen misses his friends. Many of them
have left the neighborhood with their families because of the
intense conflict.
Photo Courtesy: UNHCR

Sunshine packed

And ditched this side of town

Loneliness is laid back

And that's situation on ground

My town is sacked

Gloom got the knack

For getting my wall cracked

I'm torn

Good friends I had

Good friends I lost

Ain't got no friends

No more

Acquainted with pain

My lungs grow sore

From lonely sobs

I can't ignore

This gaping loneliness

This emptiness

Creeps up on me

Surrounds me

It taunts me

Robs my reason for living

For loving

Phantoms of silence

Took up residence

Here, here and here

The resident essence

Curates an atmosphere of fear

Sunshine left town

Smiles left for frowns

Voices of laughter

For choices of disaster

It's not safe

Living in my space

It's just sad

No one holds my hand

Playgrounds

Are haunted by bloodhounds

Who thrive on battlegrounds

The play we used to play

Traded for hopes of a brighter day

Sunshine went away

With good friends

On a one-way train.


Akpan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!