Thursday, April 11, 2013

Day 11: Ghetto Chronicles

Photo: thwordinc.blogspot.com

I am a ghetto kid strung-out on a cache of shattering experiences. 
I spit details of my life on the breath of deathless utterances.
Sired into one of the basest classes in the gutter
It was extremely tough imagining life as a picnic.
I lived each day of my life in extremis to the letter
And believe me when I say I wasn’t your everyday skeptic.
It was the same old song
If you’ve been around these parts you know what I’m talking about.
Situation got me gone
And my business gave me a runaround.
Barely pulled through the different levels of school.
It felt like battling hell’s industrious crew.
The rut in the system sort of caught up
Now I’m kind o’ dreaming on testing the waters of illiteracy
Seems the ivory towers are all washed up.
What the hell so, I flipped it
And got my butt admitted into street college.
Look at the results and embrace novel proof of ingenuity.
Couldn’t exactly speak for my former colleagues.

But misery is a staple of everyday ghetto living
Keep taking blows, act tough but I can’t see myself leaving.
Not even when circumstance bears fangs like the African Boomslang.
I was brought forth in the ghetto,
Came of age in the ghetto,
Nurtured by the ghetto,
And now repping the ghetto.
Point is you can’t put the blame on me
I am what the ghetto made me;
A victor of circumstance,
My personal veritable comeuppance.
For I am not ashamed of the ghetto gospel
For it leads me on through this entire ghetto bustle.
I am the future and a youth
But the plans they got for me is the substance of a fluke.
They label me hoods.
Please, don’t be cruel.
I am what society made me too.
I have plodded through tough times.

And I have navigated the roughest miles.
Been an inch from mortalizing
But I kept right on laughing to keep from crying.
Cause I did come to recognize the purpose of life:
It’s not the days of our life but the life in those days
Which produce the bursting out of individuality revolutionized.
As I unbottle suppressed memories you’ll be amazed.
Easy to say, I guess
But reality abides in the mind’s meditation.
Tomorrow may not pass the test
As a figment of delusion.
I have borne such losses that could only be imagined.
And there’s the chronic pain that’s still hurting.
All for want of a silver spoon,
Tribulations of the experienced fool.
But through it all I sure did find
A worthy cause for which I’d put up a fight.
I know where my happiness is
I have received the revelation of my genesis.

You live in the ghetto,
You survive or die in the ghetto.
That’s the way it is
That’s the way it’s always gatto be.
Looks like I’m stuck in the game
And things will ever be the same.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothin’
Chronicles of a ghetto kid.



Akpan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!