Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 9: Sing



Now I am caged. Now I am free.
My being, my soul, all that I am is free.
It is a liberty, which reaches into my dreams;
There is a supernal tranquility in my sleep.
There’s the reason why I sing.

My wings may be clipped,
Even now, hate’s chains dangle on my feet,
I might be deprived of my right to speech
But within there’s still courage to believe;
That’s reason enough to sing.

A ten thousand ton worth of chains couldn’t keep me bound;
The weight of the world on my shoulder feels a paltry pound;
And while I may be gagged my heart will holler a soulful sound
Full and sustained, enough to rouse a resting town.
For I will not be caged without a shout.

You may feed me what you please;
You may starve me with peace,
But with tearful, fearful shrills,
I will deal out prophecies
A cry flung up on the wings of lyrics.

I care not why the sparrow sings
But I know Who watches over His.
I can’t contemplate what the free bird squeaks
But it’s a flat beside Redemption’s symphonies.
Cause I am the caged bird that still sings.

Sending out musical shrills and thrills,
Filling ‘em up with jazzy feelings,
Soloing freedom’s own masterpieces,
Mingling heart and word with tears of bliss,
Yes, I know why the caged bird sings.

Akpan


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!