Thursday, February 18, 2021

A Heart For All Seasons

Audre Lorde
Warrior, Poet, Mother

For Audre Lorde

If I had a heart for all seasons, 

A heart that perceives

The friend in every person,

Yet will draw out the snitch

For the hype he really is;

A heart that's molded from pure gold

And yet makes room for earth's trash.

Because he believes the best is yet to be told. 

And so it ain't necessary to reheat

The overrated skillet of ash. 

If I had a heart for all seasons,

I'll sacrifice excuses for good reasons,

And guard my heart above all else

Until I generate power to revive dead cells.

A heart that beats in and out of season

A heart with an ear that's quick to lĂ­sten

Such a heart is like silver

With a bust of Caesar,

Refined seven times.

A heart that crosses immortal lines. 


Akpan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!