Thursday, October 13, 2016

Can't Stand the Pain

Courtesy: UNHCR/Andre McConnell
This is the first of a series of poetry created from lyrics of musical classics.
The piece you are about to read begins with the first line of the song “Easy”
by Lionel Richie. In the next six or seven poems I’m going to pick subsequent
lines of that great song to jump-start each new piece.


I know it sounds funny but I just can’t stand the pain.
The sun’s pitched at 12 o’ clock but the storm won’t abate
It’s rage all over; I’m several miles into this insanity
When all hell spills over who’s gon’ set my soul free?
I was halfway there before they blew the final whistle
Not that I was late in coming; my effort wasn’t useful.
I crossed the river so many times I lost count already.
How much longer before my dreams hit the cemetery?
I wonder what it takes to last in this fading existence,
If anything besides pain can lay claim to consistence
If there’s no point of reference, aint no reason to aim.
I know it sounds funny but I just can’t stand the pain.

Akpan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!