Monday, December 6, 2010

How You Can Write Poetry I

Poetry is reflecting what you feel deep inside.

Be it on paper or by verbal altercation, it’s as simple as that. Now, I’ve had people say, “Poetry isn’t my thing”. Or “No matter how hard I try I just can’t write poetry” and so on and so forth like that.

Well, excuse me; I’ll have to disagree with you on that single score. Anybody, and I mean just that, anybody can write poetry if they put their heart to it. But not too much of their heart or they look like they taking an entrance exam for the School of the Great By-and-By. Loosen up, buddy. You can’t write no poem with your muscles all tensed up. Relax.

Now that we got that out of the way, I should add that we must come to the garden of verse with an understanding that mastery comes in varying shapes and sizes. And that’s exactly where many potential poets stand or fall. I’m using the word potential with the utmost care because you are either a poet or you’re not. The quality of your line of verse matters not as the fact that you write poetry. That’s all you need to be a poet. Write poems.


When I was younger, I got myself worked up a lot because I believed a standard poem required a large dose of big vocabularies. You can’t blame the kid I was though. You should have seen my first collection of poetry books besides the Nursery Rhymes which I regarded as childish and substandard poetry. One of my favorite poetry texts was A Pageant of Longer Poems edited by E. W. Parker and that’s just one among numerous skull-cracking, mind-racking collections of poems by classical poets, in my personal possession. So, I grew up with a belief that was as staunch as it was childish that reading standard, acceptable verse ought to pay in migraine or at the least, a mild headache. Any poetry that missed that mark was low on the ratings, mine.

From Milton’s Morning of Christ’s Nativity to Arnold’s Balder Dead, my young escapades took me through the works of my favorite classical poet, William Wordsworth. Here’s an excerpt from a personal favorite,

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life’s Star,
Hath elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God Who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
                                                             William Wordsworth,

Can you imagine how easy it would be for a ten year old to get lost in between those few lines of verse? Lost and totally wrecked out my mind, such was my dilemma on the road to the mastery of verse. The years, like foam-tipped breakers have blessed me with a few gifted poets, men and women through whom I’ve gained my footing and a lot of stamina in the field of cadence. Maya Angelou (my favorite), Langston Hughes, Robert Frost, Audrey Lorde, Ezra Pound, Laurence Dunbar, Sylvia Plath and many more masters of the art.

I’ve done my share of reading up on works attributed to these greats, did a little extra as a matter of fact, dug up the BGs (that’s short for Background) and worked the poetic interpretations with those. And I assure you it’s been non-stop pleasure. I’ll give my thoughts pause, presently. Next time, I’ll be sure to pick this up right where I left off. Until that time, read a lot and I mean A LOT of poems.

Keep your pen bleeding!

Akpan


Helpful Links



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!