Thursday, July 1, 2021

Every July

The Rev. A. S. Akpan
Dad passed away on first of July, 1995,
That's twenty six years too soon.
He taught me to never give up on my talent.


Every  first day of July

A riot of memories flutter to life,

Like a bust of sunshine.

I reminisce of the good old times

You used to spark causal smiles

That rose up to glisten in my eyes.

Too young n' dumb

To foresee the cruel surprise,

That far too soon you'd be gone

And I'll be down to eulogize,

To acknowledge the rule,

'It's appointed once to die,'

Guess I've been schooled.

This first of July

I dare to touch the sky,

To hold your hands in mine

And force estranged hearts to reunite.

Cause every once in a while

Impossible things bend n' slide

So I'm not gon' cry

I'ma take these tears for a ride

And let the love you showed me

Shoot me into that peace

That passes all understanding

And translate my reminisce

So that when I think of you

And the things you used to do,

I find strength to pull through.


Akpan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!