Sunday, December 16, 2012

Santa's Worst Nightmare

What if Santa had personal demons? (Of course, he does battle internal fears, everybody does... right?) But if Santa had nightmares what would be the content of his incubus? Would it be fear of his arch-enemy, Jack Frost kidnapping Santa Claus and ruining the Christmas fun? The Grinch who tries to steal Christmas? A psychotic killer turning his bullets lose on kids? If Santa had nightmares what would be his worst? Read on and try to see if you can solve that piece of jigsaw puzzle on your own.
     And while you're at it, try to picture a Santa's grotto void of laughing, joyful kids at the peak of the Christmas season, if you can. If I was Santa, I know that would scare me titless.

The refrain comes in after each verse. I bet you can do that on your own so I didn't bother repeating 'em.

Photo: babybitznpartypieces.com

          'Twas the night before stuff got awry
          And all things beautiful grew tawdry
          The season took a bad turn and went gory
          Need I say things fell out in one big hurry?
          
          How still I saw them lie
          Permanently immobilized in my mind's eye.
          The endless column stretched from East to West
          I gasped as my breath caught in my breast.
          What could this be?
          Who is this beast?
          For one moment, I heard my heartbeat
          The rhythm disjointed and out of sync.
          
          The moanful creak of the derelict carousel
          Carved a ring of finality like doom's peculiar tassel.
          These kids, I wish they had a childish sort of carousal,
          One fine night, without their parents' counsel.
          Darkness is fallen.
          Silence is omen.
          Carols have been altered to dirge,
          Deserted grottoes placed on the verge.
          
          What's the point of a universe full of tall people
          When who you really need are the small people?
          Who stole children voices, that quaint magical dialect?
          Who robbed the season of music and a chance to recollect
          Good, genuine memories?
          How do I reminisce?
          What was the weapon-a gun, sword or deception?
          Did the Pied Piper make a visitation?
          
          It's empty! Empty! The whole world is empty!
          The sound in the silence is deathly prophecy.
          I close my eyes and dare not open it for fear
          Of what may come upon the midnight drear.
          The crows are flying.
          The wind is sighing.
          I think I'll stop by some field and pick the new blossoms;
          Never dreamed I'd witness the day kids abhor Santa Claus!
          
          
          Akpan




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!