Thursday, March 11, 2021

14 Goin' On Dead

George Stinney, was only 14 when he was sentenced to death
by electrocution for a crime he did not commit. In 1944, he was
accused of killing two white girls. Cops said he confessed
to the crime, there were no witnesses, no evidence,
no written confession signed by George himself.
In 2014, a judge exonerated him posthumously. 


If I was fourteen

And not marked for death,  I'll be destined

To hold in my palm, the whim

To achieve greater works than these.

If I was fourteen,

I'll live free,

I'll have a dream like Dr. King

And Be A King.

I'll live for justice

Like Gorman than be at just ease.

If I was fourteen

I'll be a real OG,

Original, genius cause I was born to breathe.

I'll chair over the electric

Boogie, woogie, get you apoplectic.

If I was fourteen

And won a scholarship,

I'll go real hard on hardship

And be the cap'n of my ship.

If I was fourteen,

I'll be on the dream team

Black and educated with skills

The most dangerous weapon indeed.

If I was fourteen

I'll bring injustice to its knees

I'll knock the love of power till it keens

And rock the power of love so it keels

Over and shatters every hate that kills.

But y'all can't be fourteen

Not if the law wants you dead

Cause your butt ain't whitened.

'Nough said.


Akpan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!