Monday, July 1, 2019

Daddy

My father, The Rev. A .S. Akpan (!940-1995)
Passed on First of July, 1995

To catch a falling star
Is beyond a poet’s art
Still I’ll knot a handful of notes
From the string of my broken tones
Make strung chords rise like octaves
And pitch for the comet’s tail

If life was a fairytale
Who’d be the fairy godfather
But you?
If I was Aladdin
Who’d be the genie of the lamp
That’s stays true?
You are every father’s envy

An oasis of raw healing scenes
A star that keeps falling falling falling

I reach for you there
Where men cease from care

I long to catch a falling star
And bathe in the rain of sparks
An lift my face to taste your charm
Sometimes I catch on to your grace
Like vibes from radio waves
There’s nothing better than that

You do not sit in your armchair
                                  anymore
And tell me of the Savior
Who took my place on a cross;
You showed me the worth of my words
Taught me to stay creative
Much’s been said ‘bout fathers

Daddy, Daddy
You best that.

Akpan




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!