Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Long Hike

Courtesy: UNHCR (@refugees)/Ivor Prickett
This poem was originally written for the refugee woman who trekked long
distance to be with her man. I couldn't find her picture online so I used this one instead. 😄

My traveling shoes fit me fine.
My feet are kitted like an Olympic athlete’s
I’m all equipped to eat up the miles
No fuss about distance nuthin’ can stop me.
I can only pray my feet don’t fail me now
The cloud’s moving its bowels by the sound
But I’m all covered by passion blind to distraction.
Taking it all in my stride screaming bring it on!
Will I survive will I rise or multiply the lies?
How do I flee slow virus that trusses my mind?

Love, with open arms, waits on the other side of here
His whisper is a special delivery of love to my ears;
The memory of his face is a balm for my blistered feet,
The longing for his embrace is a shade from the heat.
I must go where love goes lovingly mark his footsteps.
Find solace in the warmness of his footprints before
The chill of the nighttime tones it down with its breath.
I’m gon’ keep on pushing until I get what I want
Even tho the road is rough I will not turn away.
If I have to crawl on bended knees I won’t hesitate.

Akpan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!