Saturday, November 12, 2016

Refugee Nation

Yolande Mabika member of the first Team Refugees
displaying the Refugee Olympic Team flag

Sometimes I wish I was a refugee
I wish I can dip my toe in strange soil,
Claim the skies and build a world without boundaries.
In a strange land to raise redemption’s song
Hauled on the buzz of people who’ve lost everything
Yet invested with the greatest of gifts, I’ll rise
Above the fears and doubts and corruption of beauty.
And I’d relish the right of giving one lifetime twice.

My very own second shot at making first impression,
I’ll devastate captivity and make an art of destruction.
I’ve waded a hundred rivers of hurt, fears and blood but
The yet uncharted rivers will carve pinions for my cross.
Raison d'ĂȘtre tossed in war opens up to freedom’s porch
I could almost engage it cause it’s breaking with the dawn.
All the virtues I’d have been busting loose in a fresh me.
Sometimes I wish I was a refugee.

Akpan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!