Wednesday, February 25, 2015

No Lies


Tell me no lies
Cause I seen delusion playing on the wall of your mind.
Standing here, staring you in the face thru this mirror
It's hard to conceal the tears in the wake of raw gore.
I aim my gaze straight thru the windows of your soul
And access the nitty-gritty of your thoughts like it was my own.
I wonder how you shade your eyes to such gruesome heat;
How you manage to delegate denial to defuse the guilt.

Tell me no lies
That you serve a fatherland almost torn apart by war
When your best shot is folding your arms and letting it slide
While your motherland is brought to her knees and grieves her sons.
You throttle the voices inside and play that feel-good music
And amp the volume to the max in time, you lost sight of the basic.
Take one long hard look at yourself thru the looking glass,
Say to the hypocrite staring back at you: “Shove the lies up your ass.”

Tell me the flames of the first civil war engaged the south
Alas! Its twin confronts us, if you'd dare open your mouth
But tell me no lies.

Tell me devastation steers its course northward at least, for the time,
And you figure you ain't in harm's way so you kick back and unwind.
Just tell me no lies.

Tell me you ain't got no brother, no sister, not one single friend
Among the thousands dead or the 100 thousands displaced;
That I can handle just fine. But please, spare me the lies.

Akpan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!