Tuesday, May 11, 2021

I, Human

Refugees Are Human.
Syrian child refugee.
Courtesy: UNHCR

I am human just like you

You know?

I had friends and family too

Before war came and rocked the boat

And turned my whole

World misty blue.

Now I need you,

I won't lie, I know I do.

There are mountains that we

Together will climb

If you respect the humanity

Inside of me over this slime

That's pointer to my misery

There's a leader within

Pressing for that upward lift

That will unlock his breakthrough.

I can take you

To a brighter tomorrow

If you will just help me

Walk this winding road

To a rediscovery of exotic

Destinations where I will

Cast off all burden

And tend my purpose

Like a veritable garden.

A complete stranger to hopes,

I'm surrounded by foes

Fate knocked me, with grave blows,

Off my highs, down to my lows.

Still as I reach out to you

Reach out and take my hand

Fly me to a place void of gloom

And I'll stand forth like a man

And like a phenomenal woman

Because I am human

And intend, refugee

or not, to remain human

And love and live completely

And hope and believe explicitly

And be free to pursue my dreams

And never ever stop being free.


Akpan


Updated: June 2nd, 21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!